Saturday, December 21, 2013

Sleeping Through The Storm

Matt 8:23Then he got into the boat and his disciples followed him. 24Suddenly a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping25The disciples went and woke him, saying, “Lord, save us! We’re going to drown!”
26He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.
27The men were amazed and asked, “What kind of man is this? Even the winds and the waves obey him!”

This right here is what we are called to.  Note, a furious storm was raging to the point where the disciples feared death, and what was the Lord doing?  Sleeping!!!!

When our faith gets to the point where we finally say "okay, this time, in this circumstance I am not going to panic, I am not going to stress, I am not going to frantically beg the Lord.  This time I am going to pray and ask for what I need and REST in the Lord, through faith."

Is this ^^ easy to do?  No, but our faith is something we can build and it is a gift from God.  We decide, "this time I am going to trust the Lord, period.  This time lets see how things turn out when I rest in my faith trusting the Lord."

The Lord set the example for us.  The master showed us what He wants, what He expects and how it is done.  I can tell you from first hand experience that this is a decision that has to be made and stuck with moment to moment day by day.  I tell myself over and over again, "nope, this time I am going to rest in the Lord and trust Him.  I am not going to worry, I am not going to "what if" myself into a frantic state, I am going to trust the Lord."

We were given a free will to decide for ourselves what we are going to do and what we are going to believe.   Nobody else can force you or me to fret, worry or become faithless.  We decide.  Lets call out to our highest selves, the "me" that is the best and most Christlike and do exactly what our Lord did.

Here we have more support for this idea from the Word:

Matt 6:25“Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your lifee ?
28“And why do you worry about clothes? See how the flowers of the field grow. They do not labor or spin. 29Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. 30If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will he not much more clothe you—you of little faith? 31So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’ 32For the pagans run after all these things, and your heavenly Father knows that you need them. 33But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. 34Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

and

Heb 4:1Therefore, since the promise of entering his rest still stands, let us be careful that none of you be found to have fallen short of it. 2For we also have had the good news proclaimed to us, just as they did; but the message they heard was of no value to them, because they did not share the faith of those who obeyed.a 3Now we who have believed enter that rest, just as God has said,
“So I declared on oath in my anger,
‘They shall never enter my rest.’ ”b

So......let us enter His rest.

grace and peace