Saturday, January 25, 2014

The Whole Ball Of Wax In Two Verses

This is how you know we worship the true and only God: power.  Only with supernatural knowledge and power could you sum up so many important lessons in so few words.

Here is what the Lord says:

Luke 10:38As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42but few things are needed—or indeed only one.f Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

What do we have rolled up into this ^^?

This blog was started in large part based on people's lack of concern for Matt 7:13-14

13“Enter through the narrow gate. For wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it. 14But small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it.

Why will only a few make it in?  And why do so few care?  Why have you never heard this preached by your pastor?

People do not know the Lord and He does not know them:

21“Not everyone who says to me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only the one who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, ‘Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name and in your name drive out demons and in your name perform many miracles?’ 23Then I will tell them plainly, ‘I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!’

Which brings us back to this:

Luke 10:38As Jesus and his disciples were on their way, he came to a village where a woman named Martha opened her home to him. 39She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet listening to what he said. 40But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “Lord, don’t you care that my sister has left me to do the work by myself? Tell her to help me!”
41“Martha, Martha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things, 42but few things are needed—or indeed only one.f Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”

What a picture of love and mercy and grace.  Few things are needed, or indeed only one.  Know and love your God.  Again from Luke 10:

25On one occasion an expert in the law stood up to test Jesus. “Teacher,” he asked, “what must I do to inherit eternal life?”
26“What is written in the Law?” he replied. “How do you read it?”
27He answered, “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mindc ; and, ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’d ”
28“You have answered correctly,” Jesus replied. Do this and you will live.”

and

For my yoke is easy and my burden is light." 


How hard is this?  Walk with our God, know Him and love Him.  Thats it and a natural outflow from that will be we love one another thus fulfilling all of the law and the prophets.

As we transitioned into this year I asked the Lord what He would have me do for Him.  What would He have me do?  Be a man who walks with God, spend time with Him know Him and love Him and do whatever good my hands find to do in this world.  That's it.  How hard is that?

As this world circles the drain of history let us be found as a people who walk with God, who know Him and love Him.  Everything else is secondary and flows out of knowing and loving our God above all else.

grace and peace