Sunday, August 31, 2014

The Coming Slaughter

We know from the book of Revelation that a slaughter is coming on an unimaginable scale.  The opening salvo is found in Rev 6:

Rev 6:7And when he had opened the fourth seal, I heard the voice of the fourth living creature say, Come and see.
8And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on it was Death, and Hades followed with him. And power was given unto them over the fourth part of the earth, to kill with sword, and with hunger, and with death, and with the living creatures of the earth.

A fourth part is 25%, and by last count there are around 7 Billion people in the world, so do the math.  That's 1.75 Billion people dead.  Why?

Isaiah 65:11But you are they that forsake the LORD, that forget my holy mountain, that prepare a table for that troop, and that furnish the drink offering unto that number.
12Therefore will I number you to the sword, and you shall all bow down to the slaughter: because when I called, you did not answer; when I spoke, you did not hear; but did evil before my eyes, and did choose that in which I delighted not.

Up through this very day, the recent history of this world has been one of warning and patience.  This writer's problem in past years was not to fully grasp our Lord's patience, how long suffering He really is and how long He waits for people to turn around and repent.  But we know that long suffering and patience will come to an end.  When it does it will result in slaughter but this is not the reason for today's post.

Today's post is written to provide the good news.  If we read on in Isaiah 65, we see the Lord contrast "His servants" with "you" (the wicked in the text):

13Therefore thus says the Lord GOD, Behold, my servants shall eat, but you shall be hungry: behold, my servants shall drink, but you shall be thirsty: behold, my servants shall rejoice, but you shall be ashamed:
14Behold, my servants shall sing for joy of heart, but you shall cry for sorrow of heart, and shall wail for anguish of spirit.
15And you shall leave your name for a curse unto my chosen: for the Lord GOD shall slay you, and call his servants by another name:
16That he who blesses himself in the earth shall bless himself in the God of truth; and he that swears in the earth shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten, and because they are hid from my eyes.

There is a reward and a reason to love and worship our God other than just because we have to.  This world and its systems are spiraling down into the drain of history.  If recent history has taught us anything it is that the present day status quo can last into the future for years....

Back in 2007 I would have told you no way in 2014 could things still be limping along 'business as usual' but they are.  What does that mean?  Could things continue to limp along until 2020 or 2030?  Absolutely.  Yes, the Lord could appear at any moment (in the clouds not the second coming) but He can also cause us to wait.

We must be ready for both.  Nobody promised us tomorrow, this could be our last day who knows?  People die every day.  We could also be here for years to come, working out our salvation with patience

Phil 2:12 Wherefore, my beloved, as ye have always obeyed, not as in my presence only, but now much more in my absence, work out your own salvation with fear and trembling.

Rev 3:10 Because thou hast kept the word of my patience, I also will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which shall come upon all the world, to try them that dwell upon the earth.

This world is headed for destruction, but we must be counted as His servants.  While we live as His servants we have a heritage and a supply in Him and of Him:

13Therefore thus says the Lord GOD, Behold, my servants shall eat, but you shall be hungry: behold, my servants shall drink, but you shall be thirsty: behold, my servants shall rejoice, but you shall be ashamed:
14Behold, my servants shall sing for joy of heart, but you shall cry for sorrow of heart, and shall wail for anguish of spirit.
15And you shall leave your name for a curse unto my chosen: for the Lord GOD shall slay you, and call his servants by another name:
16That he who blesses himself in the earth shall bless himself in the God of truth; and he that swears in the earth shall swear by the God of truth; because the former troubles are forgotten, and because they are hid from my eyes.

We are a needy people.  When we ask of the Lord we should never tell Him "I promise I will never ask you for anything again" as the world does.  That reveals a worldly mindset.  We should promise Him that we will bury Him in prayers in requests:

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests.
With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying 


and let us not forget to pray in the Spirit on all occasions.  This is a lesson I had forgotten and the Lord brought back to my mind just recently.  We have an enemy who is very subtle and active who constantly works to suppress our prayer life.  Let us give him a battle, we must pray and continue to pray.

I challenge you to try to overwhelm our God with prayers and requests.  This nobody thinks such efforts can only end well.  Ask, seek, knock and continue to ask, seek and knock with great perseverance and long suffering and let us expect results from our God from such efforts:

Psalm 625My soul, wait thou only upon God; for my expectation is from him.
6He only is my rock and my salvation: he is my defence; I shall not be moved.
7In God is my salvation and my glory: the rock of my strength, and my refuge, is in God.
8Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe
that you have received it, and it will be yours.

The Lord has made us many promises, but not all people inherit.  Those who inherit do so through faith and patience:

... indifferent. Instead, you will follow the example of those who are going to
inherit God's promises because of their faith and endurance.


Keep the faith, be patient and continue to ask the Lord for all things with many many MANY prayers and requests.  Try to overwhelm Him :)  He loves you...

grace and peace