Friday, December 25, 2020

Hope At Christmas

 The winter solstice (around Christmas time) is the darkest day of the year.  More hours of darkness than any other time of the year.  It was at this time that the Light of the world showed up for all of us to save us.  At this time in the world, great darkness has risen again.  What are the righteous to do?  Put their faith in the light of the world who always shows up right on time.

Here is a Psalm that lays out some of the hope we have before us:

Ps 54

1O God, save me by your name,
and vindicate me by your might.
2O God, hear my prayer;
give ear to the words of my mouth.

3For strangersb have risen against me;
ruthless men seek my life;
they do not set God before themselves. Selah

4Behold, God is my helper;
the Lord is the upholder of my life.
5He will return the evil to my enemies;
in your faithfulness put an end to them.

6With a freewill offering I will sacrifice to you;
I will give thanks to your name, O LORD, for it is good.
7For he has delivered me from every trouble,
and my eye has looked in triumph on my enemies.


If you read your Bibles you will see this particular Psalm is far from a "one off."  The Word of the Lord is absolutely overflowing with similar promises.  The future of the wicked is absolute destruction.  The future of the righteous is grace, peace, confidence and quietness forever:

Is 32

16The Lord’s justice will dwell in the desert,

his righteousness live in the fertile field.

17The fruit of that righteousness will be peace;

its effect will be quietness and confidence forever.

18My people will live in peaceful dwelling places,

in secure homes,

in undisturbed places of rest.

19Though hail flattens the forest

and the city is leveled completely,

20how blessed you will be,

sowing your seed by every stream,

and letting your cattle and donkeys range free.


Merry Christmas everyone.  Put all your hope and faith in the Lord.  Anyone who does this will not be disappointed.

grace and peace