Friday, May 15, 2009

Faith is the Substance

Hebrews 11:1 ... Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen

Substance: that of which a thing consists; physical matter or material: form and substance. that of which a thing consists; physical matter or material: form and substance.

What is the Spirit saying to the churches today? I can tell you what he's been saying to me..FAITH is everything, faith, belief, patience, prayer. In a time of lack, fear and depression our Father calls us back to his word and tells us "stop praying like a beggar." I'm sure some people reading this blog in the past may have thought "who does he think he is?" I know who I am, A CHILD OF THE KING OF ETERNITY. That enough for ya? I'm a child of the royal household, I sit at the king's table. Not just me, but all of those "in Christ" share this standing. If we are children of the king, why do people pray like beggars? Do they not believe what our Father has said? If he made promises to us, he meant them and he delivers on them.

The top level promise and object of our faith must be salvation. We must be in right standing with our Lord, we must be "in Christ." Getting into the body and remaining there are two different things. The wolves in sheeps clothing teach that all you have to do is "make a decision" for Jesus and its "game over, you're in forever!" The bible I read teaches getting in and ABIDING "in Christ." Abiding is not a one time event, its an every day event.

John 15:1 I am the true vine, and my Father is the husbandman. 2 Every branch in me that beareth not fruit he taketh away: and every branch that beareth fruit, he purgeth it, that it may bring forth more fruit. 3 Now ye are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you. 4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. 5 I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing. 6 If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned. 7 If ye abide in me, and my words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you. 8 Herein is my Father glorified, that ye bear much fruit; so shall ye be my disciples. 9 As the Father hath loved me, so have I loved you: continue ye in my love. 10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love. 11 These things have I spoken unto you, that my joy might remain in you, and that your joy might be full.

Did you count how many times the word "abide" is used there? Think the Lord might be trying to get some kind of point across?

Abide 1: to wait for : await2 a: to endure without yielding : withstand b: to bear patiently

Contrast "abide" with the "make a decision and you're all done" lie the priests of babylon teach today. Why are people so amazed that the Lord requires ongoing day by day committment to him? Is that so shocking?

These are days of warning and encouragement. We are told to hope in the Lord, to have faith, to believe, but also to fear the Lord. Fear of the Lord includes taking his warnings VERY seriously, it means trembling at his word. We have eternal life and eternal death laid out before us every day. What do you believe and WHY do you believe it? Do you hold your beliefs because some babylonian priest told you what to believe or because the Spirit spoke to your spirit? Big difference. Do you really know the Son of God or have you farmed out your spiritual "heavy lifting" to some hired hand (pastor)?

MANY will say to Jesus on that day-paraphrasing from Matt 7:21 "did'nt I do all kinds of great things for you?" and he'll tell them "away from me you evildoers I never knew you."

Why do you need to hear this again today? What if the escape is only days or hours away? What if the time of Jacob's trouble starts today? What if you die today? You need to know Jesus and he needs to know you. You need faith to please our God. If you do not really believe you cannot please him. You can pray until you are blue in the face and get nothing from our God unless you pray in faith.

Hebrews 11:6
... Now without faith it is impossible to please God, for whoever comes to him mustbelieve that he exists and that he rewards those who diligently search for him.

Return to the fundamentals of the faith. Ask, seek, knock, beleive, pray, have faith. Time may be short. People ask "what can I do" when the world is spinning out of control? You can seek the face of your God and conform yourself to his will, that's what you can do. Keep the faith, think and act like a child of the King, not in arrogance but in faith.

grace and peace