Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Finding Our Portion and our Peace in the Lord

The Lord has been speaking to me about our day to day walk. He has shown me in my own experience where we must make him our portion each day, in spite of the problems and troubles that surround us, we are to find our rest and our peace "in him."

Psalm 16:5 LORD, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you ...
The LORD is the portion of my inheritance and my cup; You support my lot.
Psalm 119:57 You are my portion, O LORD; I have promised to obey ...
You are my portion, O LORD; I have promised to obey your words. ... You are my portion, O LORD: I have said that I would keep your words.
Psalm 142:5 I cry to you, O LORD; I say, "You are my refuge, my ...
I cry to you, O LORD; I say, "You are my refuge, my portion in the land of the living."

The only changes we are going to see in this world before Jesus shows up is things going from bad to worse. The problems and troubles of life will be ongoing until we leave this place but I believe the Lord is telling us that we have a refuge, a shelter, a place of peace to rest in daily if we would seek him, engage him, consume his promises, stand on his promises, pray his promises back to him and then REST.

We were never told to go out and fight all the battles of life on our own. We have a God and promises from our God that we can lay hold of and rest in. The only way this is possible is to have faith.

1. We must believe that our God exists
2. We must believe that he does not lie and he will honor his promises to those who are "in him."

Hebrews 11:6
And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.

Once again we are circling around the same subject. Our answers are all "in Christ." We must seek the Lord today and everyday. We must ask him to allow us to delight ourselves in him. We must pray that he would be our treasure here on earth and in heaven. We must ask him to be our portion and our peace today-in spite of all our troubles.

When we do these things, the other things going on in the world begin to pale and fade away. Yes, it appears that the rapture, the time of Jacob's trouble and hell on earth are almost upon us, but it has seemed that way for years now hasn't it?

Where should our focus be? On the problems or on the solution? The problem has been in focus and "in the world's face" for years now, we should stop beating a dead horse. If people can't see the end time events playing out around them it is because they are spiritually blind. They need what we need...the solution. For your sake and the sake of those who hear you, focus on the solution: his name is Jesus. This is what I hear the Spirit saying today.

May the grace and peace of our Lord Jesus be upon you today.