Saturday, December 12, 2009

This is What Everyone is Looking For...

Isaiah55:2 Why spend money on what is not bread, and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good, and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.

Our God comes right out and says it...listen to me! Why does he tell us to listen to him? So our souls can "delight in the richest of fare."

This right here is what all humanity has been searching after since the very beginning. Human beings are constantly, continually chasing after what will make them "happy." Think about everything people do, they chase after sex, drugs, money, power, you fill in the blank here, but why? Why do they chase these things? To make them feel HAPPY. To put a finer point on this, they chase wordly things to satisfy their souls.

Our Lord tells us clearly to listen to him. He says it twice. LISTEN, LISTEN TO ME. He's trying to get our attention. He knows all about the grand canyon sized hole in the deepest part of each human. He knows about it because he put it there. Our Lord tells us to stop trying to feed our soul wordly junk food that will eventually kill us and to pay attention to him so we can feast and delight in the richest of fare.

Stop and think for a moment what it feels like to have your soul feast on the "richest of fare." Do you think you would still be feeling hunger pains after the soul feast our Lord offers us? I think we will be deeply satisfied after our soul has feasted on the richest of fare. I also think I would be looking with great disdain on the things of this world after such a feast.

What's the bottom line here?

The Lord alone is our answer. This world cannot satisfy us. This past week the Lord has repeatedly brought to my mind that we are to delight ourselves in him:

Psalm 37:4 Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the ... Delight yourself in the LORD and he will give you the desires of your heart.

I believe the Lord shared with me that we are not to wait for heaven to delight ourselves in him. We start now. Think about that for a moment. What makes heaven such a great place? One thing: Jesus lives there. Heaven would not be heaven without our God in it. We are told to find our delight in the Lord right now, today. We are told to feast on something that really does satisfy the grand canyon sized hole within each of us. We all have a God sized hole within us. That's a big hole and it takes the real, one and only King of Kings to fill it.

This past week I have been asking the Lord, okay Lord, so how do I delight myself in you? The answer is, at least the first step is, to set our will on that desire. That is, as an act of my will, I set myself to delight myself in the Lord. The Lord has to take care of the rest.

In addition to these ^^^ thoughts this week, I believe it has also crossed through my mind that we have to return to lives of simplicity. We need to get rid of alot of junk in our lives and focus on the few things that matter. Less is more :-)

May the Lord bless you and keep you, may his face shine upon you and may he grant you peace.